Nonresident Producer Licensing

Nonresident Producer Licensing Application & Requirements

New License

To apply for a Kansas nonresident insurance producer license, you must satisfy or meet the following requirements:

  1. Be at least 18 years old.
  2. Submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Insurance Producer License online via the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).
  3. Payment of $50.00 Application fee (collected when application submitted to NIPR). Application fees are nonrefundable.
  4. Provide evidence of FINRA registration if Variable Contracts authority is desired.
  5. A Certification Letter from the producer’s home state is not required. The license status will be verified through the NAIC’s Producer Data Base (PDB).

Types of Licenses

A nonresident license is issued based upon the applicant’s license authority in the state of residence. The Kansas Insurance Department grants the following types of licenses:

Major Lines

  • Life
  • Accident and Health or Sickness
  • Variable Life and Variable Annuity
  • Property and Allied Lines
  • Casualty and Allied Lines
  • Personal Lines

Limited Lines:

  • Crop Only
  • Title Only
  • Public Adjuster
  • Pre-Need Only
  • Bail Bond Only
  • Travel
  • Viatical Settlement Broker
  • Reinsurance Intermediary
  • Excess/Surplus Lines
  • Self-Service Storage

Maintaining Your Nonresident License

Requirements for maintaining your nonresident insurance producer license in Kansas:

  • You must maintain a resident license in your home state for the same lines of authority that you are qualified for in Kansas.
  • Secure company certification (appointments). An appointment is required by each company for which business is transacted in Kansas.
  • You must keep a current email address on file with the Department. Renewal notices and other communications are only sent electronically via email.
  • You are required to notify the Department of, within 30 days of occurrence, any changes in home address, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses. These must be reported via a Contact Change Request (CCR) through NIPR. Do not notify the Department directly of these changes.
  • You are also required to notify the Department of, within 30 days of occurrence, any regulatory actions, terminations for cause, actions taken against a license in another state, and new convictions. These must be reported to the Department via at with “Report of Action” in the Subject of the email.

License Renewal

Nonresident producers renew their licenses biennially. Nonresident producers must pay a $50 biennial license fee and submit a renewal application through NIPR ( at the time of their biennial renewal. Renewal fees are nonrefundable. Renewals generally may be completed up to 90 days prior to their biennial due date.

The biennial due date is the last day of the producer’s birth month in each odd year for producers born in an odd-numbered year or each even year for producers born in an even-numbered year. For newly licensed producers, such date shall not be earlier than two years from the date of the producer’s initial licensure. Renewal is done through NIPR.

If a nonresident producer license is nonrenewed for failure to meet the biennial renewal requirements, they must submit a renewal application, pay the $50 biennial license fee, and pay a $100 fee for failure to timely renew. All fees and the renewal application must be submitted through NIPR ( Failure to timely renew (within 90 days of your biennial renewal date) will result in termination of your nonresident license and you will be required to reapply through NIPR. A $100.00 reinstatement fee is applied up to 4 years past the license expiration date.

A Certification Letter from the producer’s home state is not required. License status will be verified through the NAIC Producer Data Base as proof of continuing education compliance (PDB Participating State Report at

License Surrender

To surrender a nonresident insurance license, the producer should complete and submit the Request to Surrender License form online.

To surrender a license in good standing, the license must be active and not suspended or nonrenewed based on failure to complete continuing education requirements or a disciplinary action.

If you want to obtain a license in the future, you will be required to apply and complete all requirements necessary for new applicants.