Storm/Flood Insurance

Storm and Flood Insurance

Living in Kansas brings with it the threat of damaging winds, pelting hail, or roaring floodwaters, causing hundreds of millions of dollars of damage to property across the state. Insurance offers financial protection against storm damage, but you need the proper insurance in the right amounts.
All too often the Kansas Department of Insurance finds that consumers failed to make proper insurance arrangements for themselves or their property before a storm hits.

The information found here can help you understand the storm coverage you need before the storm and what to do to protect your interests after the storm if you must file a claim.
The Insurance Commissioner encourages you to contact the Consumer Assistance Division if you have any questions or need additional information. Please call the Department’s toll-free Consumer Hotline: 800-432-2484 (in Kansas only); or 785-296-3071 (out-of-state callers).

General Information

  • “What the Flood!” Interactive Quiz – Not all policies are the same, so the NAIC urges you to check your policies and consult your agent to confirm that the flood perils highlighted are covered by your insurance.

Federal Flood Insurance

Auto Policy

  • A previously flooded car may look perfectly fine on the surface, but there can be hidden defects. Flood damage can compromise a car’s computer and safety mechanisms which pose significant safety hazards. Also, your insurance company may not insure a vehicle that was previously determined to be a total loss.
  • Check a vehicle’s history at:
  • Check your auto policy. Comprehensive coverage (other than collision) pays if a storm or flood damages your car.
  • See the Department’s Auto Insurance page for more details.

Homeowners/Renters Insurance

  • Check your coverage. Not all policies cover these expenses:
    • water and windstorm damage
    • debris or tree removal
    • sever back-up due to flooding
    • sump pump failure
    • additional living expenses if a disaster forces you from your home
  • Check limits, including contents coverage. See the Department’s Home & Renters Insurance page for more details.
  • Take inventory of your personal property and store it in a safe place such as a fireproof box or a safe-deposit
    box. Include photos, videos and receipts for major purchases. Download a copy of the Personal Home Inventory.

Storm Claim Losses by County

2023 Map and County List