Public Adjusters

Public Adjuster Licensing Requirements

NOTE: The public adjuster can only be involved in a first-party claim and the claim must be associated with a commercial lines policy.


NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Adjuster

  • $100 application fee
  • At least 18 years of age
  • Resident applicants will be required to pass the Kansas Public Adjusters Examination
  • Nonresident applicants are required to hold a Public Adjusters license in their designated home state
  • If the applicant has held a Public Adjuster License in another state and is moving to Kansas, the application forms, fees, and/or the Public Adjuster license examination may be waived; a letter of clearance is not required if the applicant’s former state of residence participates in the PDB; contact the Kansas Insurance Department for details


Kansas insurance licensing examinations are developed and administered by Pearson Vue. Candidates should review the State of Kansas Licensing Information Bulletin, containing examination content outlines and information about the examination process, and then make an examination reservation:

Examination Study Material

Examination study materials are available from:

  • Kansas Association of Insurance Agents
    815 Topeka Avenue
    Topeka, KS 66612
    (785) 232-0561
  • Kansas Association of Professional Insurance Agents
    103 SE 10th Avenue
    Topeka, KS 66612
    (785) 232-4143
  • A.D. Banker & Company
    5000 College Blvd, Suite 120
    Overland Park, KS 66211
    (913) 451-1280

NOTE: Study should consist of Laws & Regulations & Commercial sections of the Property/Casualty study material

License Issued and Maintained

  • Upon satisfying the application requirements, a Kansas Public Adjuster’s license will be issued
  • Business practices are confined to first-party claims and limited to commercial policies
  • Continuing Education is required
  • K.S.A. 40-5501 et.seq. will govern the activities of public adjusters

Continuing Education/License Renewal

  • Resident Public Adjusters must satisfy continuing education requirements. Public Adjusters must complete 12 hours of approved property/casualty credit every two years. The hours must have at least one hour must be instruction in insurance ethics, and no more than three hours can be in insurance agency management
  • Nonresident Public Adjusters must satisfy designated home state continuing education requirement
  • $100 license renewal fee (resident & non-resident)
  • Public Adjuster license will renew their license on the biennial due date
  • The biennial due date is the adjuster’s birth date in each odd year for adjusters born in an odd-numbered year or each even year for adjusters born in an even-numbered year. For newly licensed adjusters, such due date shall not be earlier than two years from the date of the initial licensure
  • Course certificates must be submitted to the Insurance Department prior to the biennial due date

Other Licensing Information

  • K.A.R. 40-7-27 provides that each person licensed in Kansas as an insurance producer or public adjuster shall report to the commissioner within 30 days of occurrence any disciplinary action on the producer or adjuster’s license or any occupational license; judgments or injunctions involving fraud, deceit, misrepresentation, or violation of any insurance law; all details of any conviction of a misdemeanor or felony; each change of name; each change in residence address; and each change in the name or address of the agency with which the producer is associated
  • When a name is changed, the public adjuster should return the license with documentation of the change, and a corrected license will be issued (no charge)
  • To change a name or address, please submit the Address/Name Change form.
  • Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Kansas Insurance Department and will be accepted from companies or individuals