Resident Producer Licensing

Apply or renew a license click here.

Print your license or view current CE hours click here.

Resident Producer Licensing Application & Requirements

For Nonresident Producer Licensing information, click here.

New License

Checklist: Kansas Resident Initial Application

To apply for a Kansas resident insurance producer license, you must satisfy or meet the following requirements:

  1. Be at least 18 years old.
  2. Apply for a tax clearance from the Kansas Department of Revenue and submit it to the Kansas Department of Insurance. You MUST electronically submit the tax clearance to the Kansas Department of Insurance to with “Tax Clearance” in the Subject of the email.  For additional information on tax clearances, click here. Your application will not be processed until a tax clearance has been received by the Department. Please note: A tax clearance is valid for the period stated on the certificate of clearance.
  3. Submit the NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Insurance Producer License online via the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR).
  4. At the time you apply, you must pay an application fee of $15 and a fingerprinting fee of $50 by credit card or electronic check. Both fees are nonrefundable.
  5. Be fingerprinted and submit to a criminal history background check.
  6. Electronically submit a Waiver agreement and FBI Privacy Act Statement (Fingerprint Waiver Form) to the Department.
  7. If you hold a license from another state and are moving to Kansas, provide a clearance letter from your former state of residence. (A clearance letter is not required if the applicant’s former state of residence participates in the NAIC’s Producer Data Base [PDB].)
  8. If Variable Contracts authority is required, provide evidence of FINRA registration. (Series 6 or 7).
  9. Pass the appropriate licensing examination. (Licensing test scores are valid for two years from the date of examination.)
  10. Comply with all licensing requirements within six months of the date of your application. Applications and fingerprints are valid for six months.

Types of Licenses

The Kansas Department of Insurance grants the following types of licenses. You should take the licensing examination(s) that will qualify you for the licenses you desire.

Major Lines (all require examinations)

  • Life 1
  • Accident and Health or Sickness 1
  • Property and Allied Lines 1
  • Casualty and Allied Lines 1
  • Personal Lines
  • Variable Life and Variable Annuity 2

Other License types, including Limited Lines (those marked with “*” require an examination):

  • Viatical Settlement Broker 3
  • Reinsurance Intermediary
  • Excess/Surplus Lines
  • Public Adjuster *4
  • Crop Only *
  • Title Only *
  • Pre-Need Only *5
  • Bail Bond Only *6
  • Self-Service Storage
  • Travel
  • 1 May be taken as individual examinations or in combined examinations of Life, Accident and Health, or Property, Casualty and Allied Lines.
  • 2 Variable contracts agents must have FINRA registration and a life agent license, but no separate exam is required.
  • 3 Viatical Settlement Brokers must have a life agent license, but no separate exam is required.
  • 4 Public Adjusters must pass the Kansas Public Adjuster Examination which focuses on the Laws & Regulations, and Commercial sections of the Property/Casualty study material.
  • 5 Pre-Need agents must take the Life examination.
  • 6 Bail bond agents are required to pass the Kansas Laws and Regulations examination only.

For information on licensing examinations see Examination Information

Maintaining Your Resident Producer License

Requirements for maintaining your resident insurance producer license in Kansas:

  • Secure company certification. An appointment is required by each company for which you transact business.
  • You must keep a current email address on file with the Department. Renewal notices and other communications are only sent electronically via email.
  • You must satisfy applicable continuing education requirements.
  • You are required to notify the Department of, within 30 days of occurrence, any changes in home address, mailing addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses. With the exception of changing your resident state from or to Kansas, these must be reported via a Contact Change Request (CCR) through NIPR. Do not notify the Department directly of these changes.
  • You are also required to notify the Department of, within 30 days of occurrence, any regulatory actions, terminations for cause, actions taken against a license in another state, and new convictions. These must be reported to the Department at with “Report of Action” in the Subject of the email.
  • Licensees should submit name change requests to the Department via the Legal Name Change Request Form.
  • If you will be selling flood insurance, please see the Flood Insurance Training Requirement.
  • If you will be selling policies under the Long Term Care Partnership Program, please see the Long Term Care Training Requirement.
  • If you will be selling or recommending annuities, see the Annuity Suitability Training Requirement.
    • Effective January 1, 2024, producers engaging in the sales of annuities must be in compliance with the best interest standard. See KAR 40-1-53.

Changes to License

Adding a LOA: To add a line of authority (LOA) to an existing Producer License, submit an application through the NIPR licensing center, which will navigate you to the appropriate forms. Kansas does not charge a fee to add a LOA.  However, you must be qualified to hold the new line of authority. See Types of Licenses section.

Changing Resident State from or to Kansas: If moving to or from Kansas and need to change a resident license to a nonresident license, or a nonresident license to a resident license, complete the Change Residency Status Form and electronically submit it to the Department. The Department will contact you with instructions on how to complete your request. You will not be able to change your state of residency through NIPR directly.

License Renewal

Resident producers are required to renew their license on or before their biennial due date. Resident producers must complete the continuing education requirements, submit a renewal application, and pay a $4.00 biennial renewal fee through NIPR. Renewals are generally allowed up to 90 days prior to a licensee’s biennial due date.

The biennial due date is the last day of the producer’s birth month in each odd year for producers born in an odd-numbered year or each even year for producers born in an even-numbered year. For newly licensed producers, such date shall not be earlier than two years from the date of the producer’s initial licensure.

If a resident producer license is suspended or terminated for failure to meet the biennial renewal requirements, they must complete the following for reinstatement of their license:

  • During the initial 90-day suspension period:
    • Submit a renewal application
    • 18 hours of CE
    • Pay the $4 renewal fee
    • Pay a $100 reinstatement fee
  • After the 90-day suspension period a license expires, and company appointments are automatically terminated. To reinstate an expired license up to one year after the biennial renewal date:  
    • Submit an initial license application (you will not be required to complete the entire initial licensing process)
    • 18 hours of CE
    • Pay a $100 reinstatement fee
    • Pay the $4 renewal fee
    • Producers must have company appointments re-established
  • More than a year, but less than four years:
    • Reapply for the license (includes providing fingerprints)
    • Pay the $80 application fee
    • Complete 18 hours of CE
    • Pay the $100 reinstatement fee
    • Company appointments must be re-established.
  • More than four years:
    • Reapply for the license (includes providing fingerprints)
    • Pay the $80 application fee
    • Take and pass a licensing exam for the desired line of authority
    • Company appointments must be re-established.

All fees and the renewal application must be submitted through NIPR (

For information on continuing education requirements for resident producers please view our continuing education page.

License Surrender

To surrender a resident insurance license, the producer should complete and submit the Request to Surrender License form online.

To surrender a license in good standing, the license must be active and not suspended, expired, or revoked based on failure to complete biennial renewal requirements (including continuing education requirements) or a disciplinary action. If a license has been suspended or expired due to failure to complete renewal requirements, you cannot surrender the license without completing the renewal requirements (including CE) for the biennium in which the license is surrendered.

If you want to obtain a license in the future, you will be required to apply and complete all requirements necessary for new applicants.

Inactive Status

K.S.A 40-4903(e)(5) allows for an individual insurance licensee to be exempt from continuing education requirements while on Inactive Status. An Inactive Agent is a licensed agent that affirms to the Commissioner of Insurance that he or she will not conduct any acts toward transacting the business of insurance while on inactive status. The period of inactivity allowed is a continuous period of time of not more than four (4) years starting from the date inactive status is granted by the Commissioner. Inactive status is only granted to a licensee one time.

Requests for Inactive Status must be submitted to the Department by filling out the Inactive Status Application.